【MATCH REPORT】Yokohama F.Marinos 2-2 S-PULSE

【MATCH REPORT】Yokohama F.Marinos 2-2 S-PULSE

Yokohama F. Marinos 2-2 S-PULSE
Saturday, July 29th 2017
7:00pm, Nissan Stadium

S-Pulse Goals: Hasegawa 24, Tese 70
S-Pulse Yellow Cards: Musaka 28
Attendance: 24881


GK Rokutan
DF Kamata, Kanu, Futami, Matsubara
MF Musaka, Takeuchi, Edamura, Duke
FW Tese, Hasegawa


Murata on for Edamura (61)
Kitagawa on for Hasegawa (93)


The weather took centre stage in the build up to Saturday’s game at Yokohama F. Marinos, a torrential and sustained downpour catching many fans unaware. Three hours before kick off, dark clouds rolled over Kanagawa prefecture, the prolonged precipitation lasting well into the night. Undoubtedly, the conditions impacted on the game, the result being a fast paced, open contest, with no shortage of goal mouth action and excitement.

Manager Kobayashi made just one change from the home league victory over G. Osaka, forward Hasegawa lining up in place of youngster Kaneko. As has often been the case away from home this season, Shimizu showed no shortage of attacking flair. It was directly following an S-Pulse corner however that the hosts drew first blood; a lightening counter attack culminating in Martinus stroking the ball past Rokutan. Despite the setback, it took only seven minutes for S-Pulse to level up the score, Hasegawa crashing home an unstoppable header from another corner.

Yokohama’s advantage was restored three minutes before the break courtesy of perhaps the weekend’s most picturesque goal. Amano’s sweetly struck volley gave Rokutan little chance, the home crowd brought to their feet in admiration.  A crucial turning point followed when the home side won a penalty two minutes later. Manabu stepped up with the chance to give Marinos a two goal cushion, but Rokutan was equal to the number 10’s effort. The save sent the travelling army wild, and shifted the mental game back in S-Pulse’s favour.

The second half was no less open than the first, both teams creating scares for the other. S-Pulse’s just reward came on 70 minutes, when a fine one-two between Takeuchi and Duke resulted in a pass to Tese. On his return from suspension, the captain tucked the just inside the post for the equaliser, the thousands of orange fans behind the goal going barmy in celebration. While the game provided thrills to the end, there were no more goals. Most at the stadium left entertained however, agreeing a draw was a fair reflection of the 90 minutes.

Shimizu are back on the road this weekend, heading south to Sagan Tosu. If you’re not travelling to see your heroes, be sure to stay in touch via out official Twitter account @spulse_eng

Forza S-Pulse!


Meiji Yasuda J1 League
Match Day 20
Sagan Tosu vs S-PULSE
Saturday  August 5th, 7pm
Best Amenity Stadium 

News List